Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wager #3 : Santa Barbara Burning



30 x 45 cm, Archival Digital Print
2009

I will never forget the Sycamore Canyon Fire of 1979 in Santa Barbara - it was dangerously close to my family home. My parents, sister and I had packed the car and we were ready to evacuate. The fire marshall kept driving through our streets warning us and the neighbors that we would have to go at any moment. Former World War II bomber planes had been converted to aerial water tankers and were dropping water on the scene. The air was hot and ash was every where. We even managed to see the flames as they shot up on the mountain behind us. It was devastating. Fortunately at the very last minute we didn't have to evacuate because the wind took a turn, but I had many friends who's homes were not saved.

Forest fires are a unfortunately very common in Santa Barbara County. About 2 months ago the city endured yet another huge fire. While there for the holidays, I toured the burned out areas. What I really don't understand is the way a fire moves. 'Dancing' has often been associated with fires. That word rang in my mind as I saw one house left standing on what was now a bald mountain side.